by Bob Couttie

Not every headstone in Arlington National Cemetery marks a body. In the case of Ensign Andrew Lee Muns, a body can never be recovered: it vanished into the air over the South China Sea some forty-five years ago. While his body can never be recovered, it took thirty years for his honour to be restored. For this cold case, justice was a close call.

Screen Shot 2013-05-04 at 6.26.12 PMOver 94 years, Subic Bay Naval Station in the Philippines became America’s largest military base outside the continental USA. Although the Philippines had become independent in 1946, the town of Olongapo which abutted the naval base remained U.S. territory for more than a decade afterwards, and although the base became nominally a Philippine military base in the early 1960s, it remained de facto US territory for as far as the eye could see until November 1992.

In 1968 Subic Bay Naval Base, nestled in a placid deepwater bay surrounded by the verdant Zambales mountains, was a staging post for the Vietnam War. It was here that the notorious Tailhook Club was born. Housing a transient population of more than 4,000 mostly young, fit men in the prime of life, the base had more than its fair share of crime. Off-base there was sex and booze for the taking, both of whatever flavour one desired. It was the global R&R center of choice for naval personnel.

Liaisons with local girls were the norm and marriages so common that a special unit was set up on the base to teach Filipino women how to be American housewives.
USS Cacapon was a 7,470 tonne World War II Cimarron class fleet oiler, a floating gas station delivering bunker fuel to US Navy ships at sea. In the 1960s she was deployed to West Pac with a complement of 314 men. Newly assigned was 24 year-old Ensign Andrew ‘Andy’ Lee Muns from New Jersey, a payroll officer, which gave him access to the ship’s safe.Screen Shot 2013-05-04 at 6.26.55 PM

Muns was happy in the navy. In the last postcard he sent home he wrote: “The world is small and beautiful. The ship has been great — good officers, good crew. I’ve seen and done more in the last month than most people do in a year.”

On January 17, while USS Cacapon was anchored in Subic Bay, Muns disappeared. So did more than $8,600 from the ship’s safe.  He was last seen at 2:00 a.m. and failed to report for the 8:00 a.m. muster.

A perfunctory investigation was conducted. A man and money were missing. With no body or signs of a struggle, it was an open and shut case. The Naval Criminal Investigative Service, the civilian agency which conducts FBI-style investigations for the U.S. Navy, came to the conclusion that he had deserted.

However, the NCIS investigator at the time, Special Agent Ray McGady, was not convinced.  In particular Muns’s subordinate, Michael Edward LeBrun, suggested that Muns had gone scuba diving between 2:00 a.m. and 8:00 a.m. In the dark.

There the case rested, although the family was convinced that Muns had not deserted and the USS Cacapon’s commander remained haunted until the day he died by the belief that foul play had occurred.

munsIn the 1970s Muns’s family asked that Andy be declared legally dead. It would bring closure and, finally, the opportunity for a memorial service. Then came the trigger that would lead to Muns’s exoneration: The family asked for a Stars and Stripes to be formally presented at the memorial service and was refused: Muns was a deserter and thief, he had not been honourably discharged. Not only was the young ensign’s reputation in tatters, so was his family’s name.

Without new evidence the NCIS could not re-open the case.

Muns’s sister, Mary Lou Taylor, decided that enough was enough and decided to prove her brother innocence. By then, the mid-1990s, a new gameboard had come into play – the Internet. She came across a forum for Viet Nam war veterans and pleaded for people who had known her brother.  She was able to get the names and photographs of other crew members and a significant, over-looked fact: whoever had taken the $8,600 had left behind more than $51,000.

Muns’s desertion no longer made sense. Yet there was no sign of a body in the bay which, had he gone over the side, would almost certainly have been found.

Taylor tracked down the original NCIS investigator, Ray McGady, who remembered the case well. As it happens, fortune was working in Taylor’s favour.  McGady put Taylor in contact with the NCIS. In 1995 the NCIS had created a cold case unit, the Cold Case Homicide Unit, CCHU. Taylor spoke to Special Agent Pete Hughes for 45 minutes. He decided the case was worth following up.

Hughes and another Special agent, Jim Grebas, came to the conclusion that a murder had been committed and one suspect bubbled up to the top of the list: Michael Edward LeBrun. His suggestion that Muns had gone scuba-diving alone in the middle of the night seemed bizarre.
world-map-locations-NCISBy now LeBrun was a real estate agent in his mid-fifties. NCIS investigators interviewed him three times, each time reading out his Miranda rights. Their suspicions grew but there were other potential suspects and leads which they followed for almost a year. They then decided on a full-court press to get a confession from LeBrun, and it almost cost them the case.

Special Agent Early of the NCIS and a highway patrolman visited Lebrun at his office on 21 September. He was asked to go to the Highway Patrol office. When he offered to go by himself he was told it would be better if he went in the patrol car. He was not under arrest and was told he could end the interview at anytime he wanted and would be allowed to go home afterwards. This time he was not read his Miranda rights.

Miranda rights exist regardless of whether the suspect is advised of them and, in this case, LeBrun was well aware of them and it was to become an issue later.

The windowless interview room had been carefully prepared. The walls were lined with poster-sized photographs from LeBrun’s life. Taylor had been flown in and another Special Agent prepared to pretend to be Muns’ cancer-stricken brother. The message was clear: “We know.”

If Hughes and Grebas couldn’t crack LeBrun now, they never would. It was their last chance.

For the next 33 minutes Agents Early and Grebas interrogated LeBrun. They pushed the envelope by suggesting that the statute of limitations on manslaughter had passed and that if the killing was ‘spontaneous’, he’d get away with it.

Finally he did confess, re-enacting the killing on video. Muns had discovered him robbing the safe and threatened to put him on report. LeBrun had attacked Muns, smashing is head against the deck and strangling him. He dropped Muns’s body into a fuel tank, where it slowly dissolved over time. Although the tanks had been searched, the body, probably covered in black oil, had not been found. LeBrun also threw the stolen money into the tank, knowing that it might carry his fingerprints.

After the interview he was asked if he wanted to apologise to Taylor and the agent pretending to be Muns’s brother. He did. He confessed, again, to Taylor and the agent and apologized. Then he was allowed to go home.

After he was indicted by a grand jury in March 2001, LeBrun set out to have the video of the reenactment of the killing suppressed and his confession declared ‘involuntary’. Had he succeeded there would have been no other evidence on which he could be convicted. Hearings took another four and a half years and the video was eventually deemed admissible.

In September 2005 LeBrun at last admitted the manslaughter and accepted full responsibility.

Surprisingly, he was sentenced to just four years and is now free.

The Muns family did get closure at last: on a fine, sunny day a black ceremonial casket on a caisson coursed through Arlington National Cemetery. On it was the American flag which was handed to Muns’ family with the gratitude of a grateful nation. The record of desertion was expunged and Muns’ honour, and that of his family, was restored at last.

Andrew Lee Muns Arlington Grave Marker


More stories from Bob Couttie


14 Responses to U.S. Navy Cold Case : A Sister’s Persistence Restores the Honor of Murdered Ensign Andrew Lee Muns

  1. reca trammel says:

    At last a case solved.

    • Patrick H. Moore says:

      Muns’ sister’s dedication must have made an impression on the NCIS people. This story goes a long way to restore my faith in things.

      • reca trammel says:

        Yes,If not for her they may have never uncovered the truth.That is dedication .I applaud her for it.

        • Patrick H. Moore says:

          This is the sort of dedication that the best criminal defense attorneys provide for their clients. It is also the sort of dedication that the best prosecutors and detectives provide in seeking to solve and prosecute cases. It is also, in the case of Edward Lee Muns’ sister, the pinnacle in true family values. Bravo!

  2. Wendy says:

    I just watched this story and wanted to post something to say how very happy I am that his sister never gave up! Just goes to show that perseverance does pay off. It’s SO sad that this man’s parents went to their graves without having their sons name restored. What an incredible end to a horrible injustice! It gives you some faith that the system does work in the end.. It was a LONG 30 years coming! GOOD FOR YOU SISTER!! SO HAPPY FOR HER!!!

  3. Wendy says:

    R.I.P. Ensign Andrew Lee Muns! Thank you for your service!!

  4. Anne M says:

    I just watched this story on T V I can’t believe all this man got was 4 years in prison for this crime after this mans family suffered for so long. Just doesn’t seem right. But them is out justice system ever right!

  5. Gail D says:

    Watched this episode many times and
    I get so emotional I cry every time I watch
    it. Thankful the killer was found and Andrew’s
    family received the flag he deserved. Most
    thankful for the detectives who took the time to
    get to the bottom of it. To Mary Lou Taylor you
    are a fantastic human being.

  6. Larry S. OLiver says:

    It gives me great pleasure to find out that justice was finally able to be at least partially served in this case and honor was finally restorn to the Ensign’s good name! We salute you Ensign, And will always remember you with much-deserved honor!

  7. The Navy is Honor and Service to our Country. You are expected to be an officer and a gentleman.
    My Mom was engaged to a Navy Commander when I was a kid many years ago. He taught me that.

    Ensign Andrew Muns, you are an officer and a gentleman and I am proud of you and your service.
    A friend you didn’t know you had
    Brian Keith O’Hara

  8. Philip Klemmer says:

    I was a fraternity brother of Andy at Gettysburg. Andy was everything that is murderer could never be. Great student. Great person.

    Philip J Klemmer MD Chapel Hill

  9. JRomero (RD3) says:

    I was on the USS Cacapon starting 1969 through 1973. So I did not know about this. During my 4 years on the CAC not one person ever said anything about this. Sorry to hear about this officer and wish his family well.

  10. Fred EN4 says:

    I was on the Cacapon in 1968 i am happy to know that officer Muns will R.R.P.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Looking for something?

Use the form below to search the site:

Still not finding what you're looking for? Drop a comment on a post or contact us so we can take care of it!

Set your Twitter account name in your settings to use the TwitterBar Section.