by Patrick H. Moore

My best beloveds, well do I remember that dreadful day when I first began running posts on the Amanda Knox – Meredith Kercher case. I was still very much a true crime greenhorn at the time and didn’t realize that — right or wrong — true crime fans are incredibly passionate about the cases they follow. Within minutes of our first posting, we found ourselves in the middle of a shit storm such as I have rarely endured. Oh myfreakin’god, it was nasty.

aman4Now, nearly a lifetime later (slight exaggeration), the Italian Supreme Court has followed up its March 2015 exoneration of Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito with a blistering 52 page condemnation of the prosecutors and their endless faux pas (plural) and alleged errors. The Supreme Court not only states that there was not sufficient evidence to link Knox and her computer savvy boyfriend to the death of poor Meredith Kercher; the high court goes much further and flat-out states that Knox and Sollecito had nothing to do with the murder.

Enuff said… or is it?

What if the Italian Supreme Court in all its majestic wisdom has GOTTEN IT WRONG? After all, we know that this case was highly politicized in good old Italy, so it’s just possible that there may be more to this than meets the eye (although the high court does appear to do a workmanlike job of demonstrating that, unlike Rudy Guede, who is fast-tracking his way to freedom, and whose DNA was all over the victim’s body, there was apparently not a shred of forensic evidence linking Knox and her boyfriend to the crime.

In any event, in the interests of ultimate truth, please humor me while I list a few possible reasons why Ms. Knox COULD CONCEIVABLY be among the perpetrators of the crime. This is not to say she is but simply that she could be. After all, the Italian Supreme Court does not rule out the possibility that Guede had accomplices; it simply states that Knox and Sollecito WERE NOT among the accomplices.

Without further ado, here are my reasons Knox could be guilty of some kind of crime, though not necessarily murder:

• aman2Her nickname was Foxy Knoxy which suggests some kind of hidden agenda. Never mind the fact she allegedly got the nickname on the soccer fields of suburban Seattle based on the foxy strategic ploys she employed to will her team to victory. With a name like Foxy Knoxy, you just know she’s a crafty one. Could that “craft” include the taking of an innocent life? Probably not but we don’t know for sure, do we? Do we ever know for sure who murdered whom unless we witnessed the bloody act ourselves, or even worse wielded the instrument of death with our own trembling hands?
  • When first questioned by Italian law enforcement, Ms. Knox apparently got bored and started doing handstands. This is clearly a sign of both some kind of hidden guilt and excellent coordination. And we all know how much good coordination helps when offing someone. The grim Dahmer allegedly had the fine coordination of a freakin’ Olympiam. And the agile Mr. Guede was allegedly quite the basketball stud. Could this be a sign of Knox’s culpability? You be the judge.
  • When first questioned by the Italian police, Ms. Knox apparently got bored and also started doing yoga exercises. Could this be a sign of hidden guilt? After all, exercise yoga is an effective way to calm the nerves, and if Ms. Knox was nervous based on some deep dark secret, this would explain her untoward actions? What do you think?
  • aman3For some reason, even though according to her autobiography, Ms. Know was relatively inexperienced sexually when she arrived in Italy, the tabloid press turned her into a freakin’ sex goddess. This, of course, goes along with the Foxy Knoxy riff. And let’s face it, she was a pretty young lady. I know many men who have said…well, never mind what they’ve said. In any event, we all know about sex goddesses, femme fatales, and bad women in general. Both Sigmund Freud and Raymond Chandler were well aware of the close relationship between sex and death. Is it possible that since Ms. Knox allegedly became more sexually active after arriving in Italy, that this acting out of primitive, instinctual desires may have also unleashed the killer within? You gotta admit, although it’s unlikely, it’s a possibility… How many of you esteemed readers have murdered someone in conjunction with “indoor sports”? A lot of you, right? It happens all the time.
  • aman5Also, Ms. Knox went to Italy with dreams of becoming a writer. All through history, writers have been held in disrepute as immoral, lazy good for nothings. If the shoe fits, wear it. As much of a literary luminary as the great Nathaniel Hawthorne (who incidentally wrote some of the first great crime novels) carried guilt around inside his voluminous brain for his entire life because instead of doing something useful, he chose to become “a scribbler of tales.” Therefore, the fact that Ms. Knox had dreams (and probably still does) of writing her way to glory could suggest an innate and highly problematic character flaw, couldn’t it? Could this flaw rise to the level of taking another human life? Maybe. Maybe not.
  • And finally, Ms. Knox accused the Congolese pub owner for whom she worked of having killed poor Meredith Kercher. Therefore, she must have done it herself, right? It’s clearly a case of her trying to find some poor sucker to deflect the blame on. Right? Blame it on a black man… Hasn’t that always been the American way? When in danger or in doubt, blame it on a black man… On the other hand, when she made the accusation, Ms. Knox had been under intense interrogation for many long frightening hours. She was Patrickundoubtedly extremely frightened by this point in time. Have you ever been interrogated by aggressive cops for hours on end? No? For shame. Why not? I certainly have been…approximately 48 years ago, and let me tell you, after hours of intense interrogation, you’ll do damn near anything to “cool out” the constabulary. But that’s another story for another place and time.

On balance, I’m extremely glad that Ms. Knox and the Mr. Sollecito have been exonerated. But does this mean true justice, that most elusive of chimeras, has occurred. Yeah, I’d say in this case,  it probably does. But am I certain? No, I’m never certain. Which according to some is the biggest crime of all…

17 Responses to Italian Supreme Court Knocks Hard on Amanda Knox’s Prosecutors

1. Wayne says:

No, Foxy Knoxy is now and always was innocent….

2. Seems to me you are stirring here Patrick!

Now people will have to discuss Jodi Arias, the “next generation” femme fatale, who of course shares Amanda’s birthday, and much else.

Stirring to show how people’s personal characteristics and foibles should probably never be seen as evidence of guilt or innocence.

3. Jo-Anne says:

Another interesting post and one that makes us think

4. Pam Harper-Smith says:

Oh yes, how I recall this one. I really did think she got caught up in something that went way too far. The other players gave me pause for reflection & the trial was difficult to believe. I guess your survival skills kick in, do or die. When you mentioned her doing handstands & yoga, I immediately thought of Jodi Arias. Wow, they share the same Birthday? Thanks George, for that tidbit. Having spent some time in Italy, I know how strange that world of law enforcement & criminal justice would seem to us. Thanks Patrick!!

It’s an interesting story — that’s for sure. I don’t believe Amanda Knox is guilty of anything serious but it would certainly be nice to know what did happen and why.

5. This certainly was an interesting case that has gone on for far too long. The poor family of Meredith Kercher must not know what to think and whether true justice has been done. There are definitely many questions but if the evidence is not there, it is not there. Great post on a case that many will not forget.

6. Cathy Rouse Page says:

Another great read. As Jo-Anne put it, you have the ability to make others think. I wasn’t following you then, but, I did follow the case. Am now compelled to find this in the archives…

Hi Cathy,

Unfortunately, the dozen or so posts we had on this case were removed because of the lawsuit. Kind of a shame.

7. contenderguy says:

I think your reasoning is skewed and not fact based. I have read many, many books on this case and there is NO evidence to support they were even there or remotely involved during the murder. They were convicted on circumstantial theory only dreamed up by a prosecutor who had no business even handling a case since he himself was under investigation for screwing up another big case, in which he was convicted. They were acquitted during the second trial because they brought in lawyers and forensic specialists that blew the case out of the water. I did my homework on this case.

8. Anonymous: reader, writer, etc. says:

I find it quite offensive that you base one of your points about Ms. Knox’s possible guilt on the fact that she is a writer. Firstly, the statement “All throughout history, writers have been held in disrepute as immoral, lazy good for nothings” is not even true. Historians in ancient times were revered, as was anyone wealthy enough to afford an education that taught them how to write. Back then, books were copied by hand with pen or paintbrush, and the cost of a book was exorbitant since so much labor went into its making. Regardless of a book’s price or difficulty in procuring, there is a vast amount industry undertaken by authors themselves, when developing their works. Imagination and communication are inextricably linked and finely honed until every word is satisfactory and flows into the next. This is indeed difficult, no matter how it is copied onto paper. Even after inventions such as the printing press and typewriter, writing was still viewed as a respectable profession if you could hold a position. When the effort put towards the field of writing and the distribution of literary materials is concerned, I do not understand why you say that people who write have always been viewed in a negative light. I believe that today especially, writers are lauded for their skills of diction, communication, and relatability in a world where future generations are growing less efficient in these in their everyday lives. Because of complications in the American education system, society is regressing to a point where only the well-educated will have these skills, yet it still recognizes their vital importance. Secondly, most writers work extremely hard whether or not they become published authors. One might claim that if they worked hard enough they would surely be published and become wealthy and famous for their work- not so. Through personal experience with contacts in the field of writing, I find that it is not laziness that prevents them from achieving ultimate fame- rather, it is the publication process. There is so much material from which to select, publication companies must reject the great majority of works submitted to them. This is not to say that the author did not try hard enough to “get in,” but rather that for whatever reason, the company believed that either some other work was of better literary quality, or another author’s work would market better. I l so find it important to add that even if an author is selected for publication, they often do not achieve wildfire success. Thirdly and most importantly, a passion or dream for a writing career does NOT denote a character flaw. A desire for a specific career does not portray a certain type of person so much as why they desire that career. Consider a psychologist: there are claims that they are emotionless people who want to get inside and play around with others’ minds. I do not believe this is true. Certainly they strive to understand their patients, but this is out of a desire to help them, not a sadistic sense of playing God or causing chaos. Final line is that writing is not indicative of a character flaw. That claim was the biggest problem I had with your article. I know many writers and I dabble in the literary arts myself. I am grieved and curious as to why you think this, especially because you have written many articles for this blog. Would that evince that you have a character flaw? I cannot speak for or against that, but I would like to understand your reasoning for your claim.

My article is tongue in cheek. Please forgive me if I didn’t make that obvious. My purpose was to show the ridiculous nature of the feeble attempts to turn Ms. Knox into a villain or an uncaring person. In a general sense, I love and admire writers… Sorry about any misunderstanding… In truth, though, I must admit, I have many character flaws which I will not go into here (for lack of space among other things).

• Anonymous: reader, writer, etc. says:

Ah, I see now. I apologize sincerely for my misinterpretation of your article. Thank you for taking the time to read my comment and clarify!